James Harrison <jam / jamandbees.net> wrote:

> Where is the performance problem? File the issue there.

In the end I filed in two places: Psych on github, and Ruby itself.
Here's why. There are really two problems. First, Psych is demonstrably
slow. I was able to write a simple real-world case showing that it takes
Pysch more then 3 times as long as Syck to do a load_file:

https://github.com/tenderlove/psych/issues/84

However, there's also a deeply disturbing philosophical problem. Psych
has been crammed down the throats of users before it's ready for prime
time. If you build Ruby 1.9.3 without libyaml being present, Psych won't
be installed and every time yaml is used, including every time you touch
"gem" in any way, you get a nasty warning. So I also filed at rubybugs
asking that this force-feeding of Psych be backed out. It won't be, of
course, but the point is made. m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = matt / tidbits.com <http://www.tidbits.com/matt/>
A fool + a tool + an autorelease pool = cool!