On 2012-09-14, at 8:48 PM, Ryan Davis <ryand-ruby / zenspider.com> wrote:

>=20
> On Sep 14, 2012, at 16:20 , Matt Neuburg <matt / tidbits.com> wrote:
>=20
>> <sto.mar / web.de> wrote:
>>=20
>>> What would be the least painful option, in your opinion:
>>=20
>> It happens that I just did this (install 1.9.3 on Snow Leopard and
>> Mountain Lion machines), and here's how:
>>=20
>> http://www.apeth.com/nonblog/stories/ruby193.html
>=20
> I disagree with this route. As you can see, homebrew makes things =
simpler for you:
>=20
>  depends_on :autoconf if build.head?
>  depends_on 'pkg-config' =3D> :build
>  depends_on 'readline'
>  depends_on 'gdbm'
>  depends_on 'libyaml'
>=20
> boom. done. esp for a student... why should they bother with something =
more complex as well as error prone?
>=20
>=20

Does a homebrew install put gems into /usr/local? And do you still have =
to muck with your PATH? I can't remember. If 'yes' and 'no' then =
homebrew is definitely the way to go I think. Anything else brings RVM =
back into consideration.

RVM is the alternative route, but RVM can be crazy making. Homebrew and =
RVM are not mutually compatible. A lot of the complexity of RVM can be =
made manageable by http://unfiniti.com/software/mac/jewelrybox which I'm =
using myself these days (which is why I can't answer my own question =
about the homebrew installation).

Cheers,
Bob=