Am 14.09.2012 20:17, schrieb Ryan Davis:
> Don't bother uninstalling. It'll just come back in updates.mapple leaves /usr/local completely alone, so edit /etc/paths to have /usr/local/bin first. Then, install Xcode via the AppStore so you can compile ruby and gems with c extensions. Then install Mac homebrew and use that to install ruby 1.9. Rvm is nice in certain contexts but really isn't necessary and overly complicates things.

Thanks Ryan and Wayne.

I slightly tend to avoiding rvm. I do use it, but I'm not sure whether
it would be too complicated from the students' point of view.

@Ryan: How about gems in this setting? Would installation or usage of
gems work without additional adjustments?

@Wayne: *Sounds* easy... how smooth is the installation?

--
<https://github.com/stomar/>