Hi all,

I am using Ruby in an introductory computer science class in Highschool.
Of course, to keep things simple, I would like all my students to use
the same Ruby version (1.9.3p194).

At school we use W*****s machines and most of the students also use it
at home, but a few use Linux or OS X. Myself, I'm a convinced Linux user
so I do want to encourage my students to use a non-W*****s operating
system.

Problem is I have never used OS X and need some help from you
experienced users out there:

it seems that by default Ruby is already installed on OS X, but in
the wrong (for our purposes) version, 1.8.7. I think the student
who pointed that out to me uses Mountain Lion (maybe Lion).

What would be the least painful option, in your opinion:

- somehow uninstall the preinstalled version and install 1.9.3
   (I fear this could break the system, assuming Ruby is
    needed for some system tool(?) since it's already installed)

- install rvm

- ...?

- tolerate that students use different versions
   (this might mean higher effort for me when providing
    unit tests for programming tasks etc.)

Any hint is highly appreciated.

--
<https://github.com/stomar/>