I just started trying Ruby 1.9.3, coming from Ruby 1.8.7, and was
surprised to discover YAML's sluggishness. The chief problem seems to be
the Psych library.

In my main use case, a certain routine takes about 14 seconds.

Fortunately, I can switch to the "syck" library:

begin
  YAML::ENGINE.yamler = 'syck'
rescue

Using syck, the same routine takes about 7 seconds.

That's actually a bit faster than the same routine under Ruby 1.8.7 with
the old YAML, where the time for the same routine is 8 or 9 seconds. So
to get the juicy goodness of improved speed in Ruby 1.9.3, I definitely
need to use "syck".

A little googling suggests I'm not the only person to make this sort of
observation.

m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = matt / tidbits.com <http://www.tidbits.com/matt/>
A fool + a tool + an autorelease pool = cool!