Avdi Grimm <groups / inbox.avdi.org> wrote:

> I'd hazard a guess that the reasoning is because the '+' behavior was
> confusing and potentially surprising. Pathname defines '+' as a filename
> join, so Pathname('/foo') + Pathname('bar') == Pathname('/foo/bar'). But
> '/foo' + Pathname('bar') == '/foobar'. This is surprising and bug-prone if
> you have code that mixes pathnames and strings.

Interesting point. The amazing thing is how fast I'd internalized this,
almost subconsciously. Indeed, I was doing all sorts of tricky things,
like saying

    /myregex/ =~ mypathname

(note the unusual order) in order to get the implicit coercion. We are
curious animals! Thx - m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = matt / tidbits.com <http://www.tidbits.com/matt/>
A fool + a tool + an autorelease pool = cool!