Could have been stated a little more politely but he's right. If you find
you're looking to optimize that intensely you probably don't want an
interpreted language.

I generally try to avoid case statements simply because it makes it easy
for me or another programmer to come along in the future and add another
case, increasing the branching in a bit of code that should probably have
only done one thing in the first place.

Best of luck