I am trying to create a C extension for ruby. I am very new to
development and have only just became familiar with ruby, so it im
really lost. I have looked at "How to create a C Extension in Ruby in
under five minutes" and it makes sense. The problem is that I dont know
what program(s) to use to compile the C code and the ruby code. I have
been using text documents for my ruby programming, so I have never
needed to compile them. So here are my questions. If I want to make a C
extension (following the model previously mentioned) what IDE do I use,
and what file format do I compile to? Also, where do I place the ruby
file and the C compiled file? And finally, will a simple notepad editor
work for this ruby development. Remember, I am new to programming in
general, so these questions may appear naive. Thanks.