On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 6:21 PM, Dave Castellano <lists / ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone please tell me how to download a module (ie
> http://rubydoc.info/gems/linguistics/1.0.9/frames) and incorporate it
> into Ruby running on my computer?  I really don't have an idea of how to
> install into my current Ruby.  Sorry ... still learnings the basics.

Libraries in Ruby generally come in the form of gems, which can be
installed with a command like (in this case): "gem install
linguistics" (without the quotes). You may need to supply "sudo"
before the command; see below about RVM.

Information about most gems is found at www.rubygems.org. You can
search there, and once you click the link for a gem you want, it will
say something like "INSTALL > gem install linguistics". You can do
more fancy things too, like installing a specific version, and of
course uninstalling. See http://docs.rubygems.org/read/chapter/10 for
more information.

> Using Mac OSx and ruby 1.9.3p0 (2011-10-30 revision 33570)
> [x86_64-darwin11.3.0]

It sounds like you installed a newer Ruby than the one that comes with
Mac OS X; good. As you move through learning Ruby, you may want to
investigate RVM (www.rvm.io), which lets you install several versions
and switch between them. It also allows you to have gemsets, so you
can group gems that are used for different projects. Normally it is
installed into your home directory, so you don't need to use sudo to
install gems. (You may have installed Ruby that way yourself, but it
seems more common for non-RVM-installed Rubys to require superuser
privileges to modify them.)

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Dave

Good luck!