Sebastjan H. wrote in post #1068110:
> I would have the game generate a defined number of beasts and spells.
> The player would then simply choose the ones for battle each turn. The
> player would not generate the beasts nor spells. They would only use
> them. This is the idea for now. I may change or expand later.

The player doesn't generate anything, it's all done by the program.

My suggestion has nothing to do with the game logic, it's only a
technical matter: Rather than actually creating all possible beasts
(which will lead to unnecessary objects), I'd only generate the *names*
and later create the object for the chosen name.

Let's say the player has to choose one beast from 1000 possible beasts.
Why would you want to create all 1000 possible beast objects and then
throw away the 999 which the player didn't select? Wouldn't it make more
sense to only have 1000 strings for the names and wait with the object
creation until the player has actually chosen one name?

Maybe you're thinking too much in terms of physical objects. In order to
"generate a beast", you don't actually have to create a beast object.
It's enough to have the information which identifies this beast (in this
case the name).