> I want a return to the happy, friendly ruby-talk of yesterweek.

One small step would be to stop (gently) mocking people for using
well-accepted variants of colloquial idioms. :-)

>>  I could care less about 1.8 or any other implementation.
>
> Couldn't. Unless your level of caring is greater than your minimum. Or you can have negative carativitiy.

http://articles.boston.com/2010-10-24/lifestyle/29303907_1_care-peeves-decades
http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/001182.html

TL;DR: "I could care less" is at least 50 years old, and can be
explained as sarcasm, hyperbole, and/or a long-ago confusion now lost
in history (like "una narancia" became "a norange" became "an orange")
-- not as evidence of the speaker's idiocy.

That said, rex was being pretty defensive and peevish. Group hug!

--
Alex Chaffee - alex / stinky.com
http://alexchaffee.com