On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 5:40 AM, rex goxman <lists / ruby-forum.com> wrote:

> Use cases for green threads aren't controversial, and there is no debate

on it anywhere that I'm aware of... except perhaps here I guess.

You're right, there is no debate! Pretty much all major virtual machines
have moved from green threads to native threads. There are still systems
that offer M:N userspace "microthreads" to N native thread schedulers, such
as Erlang and Go, but these are different from green threaded systems which
eschew use of native threads entirely and attempt to emulate them entirely
in userspace.

On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 11:52 PM, Ryan Davis <ryand-ruby / zenspider.com>
 wrote:

> Do you HAVE to have the last word? Is that what this is?
>
> There are plenty of use cases for green threads, and YOU know that. The
> fact that Rex is not telling you his means nothing. Stop being a jackass.

Actually, I really do believe that green threads are an antiquated concept
whose time has passed. Problems with thread creation time can be mitigated
using thread pools, and systems like Disruptor show you can have extremely
low-latency cross-thread communication with native threads, even when
there's contention around data structures, by doing the majority of your
synchronization in userspace.

--
Tony Arcieri