In our company the desktop computers are running primarily Windows, the
servers a mix of Windows, AIX, Linux and z/OS. Computers, groups and and
users are defined in Active Directory. As such we are probably not very
different from a lot of other companies.

Active Directory can be accessed using LDAP and so far I have been using
Ruby and the "net-ldap" gem for extracting information from Active
Directory. However, the following comment from R. O'Connell has made me
question the wisdom in using Ruby for LDAP access in the future:

--- quote begin ---

Interest in LDAP over the last few years has been sharply declining,
especially in the Ruby community who tries to avoid enterprise-y type
things as much as possible. There was a big push when 1.9 came out to
make it functional since the library was completely broken, but other
than that LDAP is generally eschewed in Ruby in favor of simpler things
like Mongo for document stores (which LDAP really is) or Redis for
simple key-value authentication. I'll try and keep up on patches and bug
fixes, but I wouldn't expect a huge push simply due to the fact that
LDAP is simply becoming irrelevant.

--- quote end ---

The quote is taken from this thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/ruby-ldap/browse_thread/thread/f99381035f9032ea

Now, Active Directory is not going away anytime soon, so I should like
to hear the opinion and suggestions from forum members about using Ruby
for LDAP/Active Directory access.