Ryan Davis wrote in post #1067161:
> Third... WHO CARES?!?!? This is all bullshit comparisons for bullshit
> reasons. You don't use ruby for speed of runtime. You use it because
> you'll be done AND have profiled and optimized the bottlenecks before
> they're done. You use it because it's a great language to develop in.
> You use it to GET STUFF DONE and AVOID THESE THREADS.

I agree, and I think the whole benchmarking has nothing to do with the
original topic.

The OP was talking about "huge arrays", so I rather think *this* is the
bottleneck. Using a specialized language for data processing (maybe SQL)
will probably make much more sense than trying to make Ruby some
milliseconds faster.

I'm no expert, but processing "huge arrays" in Ruby or even Java just
sounds wrong to me.