On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 1:42 PM, Bartosz Dziewoski <matma.rex / gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/7/1 Andreas S. <lists / ruby-forum.com>:
>>
>> A loop with no payload is a completely useless benchmarking scenario.
>
> You are wrong. It's the same as benchmarking a loop with a payload,
> without benchmarking the payload. You could also consider the payload
> to be integer incrementation.

I am going to place myself right between your chairs.  I think both of
you have it wrong. :-))

A loop without payload is not completely useless - but it only tells
you about a very artificial test case.  If the payload is more
expensive than the looping and both languages have less differences
there (e.g. because logic is IO bound) then the looping test does not
really help much for the real case.  Similarly if the real code does
not involve looping at all because other algorithms are chosen. :-)

Kind regards

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/