Thanks again for another very thorough response.

I'm afraid that I'm going to have to think about all that you have said.
As you probably have recognized, we are pushing the envelope of my
capabilities.

The thing is this: I have this object (i.e., an instance of a class).
This particular instance is used for a multitude of purposes.  Among
them is that the instance is needed by several methods contained in a
module.  The methods of the module will never require any other
instance.  They always require only this particular instance.  I guess I
could pass the instance to each of these methods that needs it as an
argument.  Since there are so many of the methods of the module that
need the instance, I was hoping that there might be another more
sanitary way of doing it.

From what you have said, I suspect that I am having this problem because
there is a major problem with the underlying structure of my code.  I'm
not sure that I am going to be able to figure out what the problem is
and fix it.

Thanks so much for your help.

         ... doug