On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 1:17 PM, Kasper Steensig <lists / ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> I have wondered whether I should learn ruby or python hence they are
> both pretty common languages and both look pretty much alike except for
> some differences like blocks and how the structure of ruby is.
>
> So what arguments are there for learning ruby? :)
>
> Thanks
>
> --

I taught myself the basics with Ruby before I started college.  For me
one of the best things about Ruby is the way in which concepts that
might be considered more advanced in other languages are run of the
mill in Ruby.  More specifically Ruby's collection handling mechanisms
and the way that blocks work make the concepts very easy to grasp.
Ruby makes working with collections in a non-imperative fashion very
easy without having to go into some Lisp dialect which while
fascinating is very weird, especially when coming from most other C
derivative languages. I have been very pleased with "Programming Ruby"
the explanations are generally very clear and easy to understand even
if you are just starting out programming.

I've also found that the concepts presented right up front in Ruby
have applications with languages like C# as C# takes on more and more
functionality that Ruby has already built in to it.