On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Kasper Steensig <lists / ruby-forum.com>wrote:

> I have wondered whether I should learn ruby or python hence they are
> both pretty common languages and both look pretty much alike except for
> some differences like blocks and how the structure of ruby is.
>
> So what arguments are there for learning ruby? :)
>
> Thanks
>
> --

For someone with no programming experience, I would recommend learning
JavaScript. It doesn't have much to offer, except it is ubiquitous and will
allow you to quickly start playing with things that you can see tangible
results. For Ruby or Python, it will take quite a bit longer before you
have anything beyond mind castles.

Of course, if you're satisfied with mind castles, then I'd choose Ruby.
Mostly because I can't think of anything that Python has to offer except
simplicity for beginners. But Ruby is so much more expressive and powerful
because of its syntax and support for many different paradigms, each with
their own strengths(disclaimer: my python experience is quite limited).
Python might make a better language for a total beginner, though, because
it is considerably simpler than Ruby since it tries to have only one
obviously correct way to solve a problem, whereas Ruby gives you lots of
tools to choose the best solution for the problem.

Also, don't neglect that there are many viable languages to choose from,
depending on your criteria. And, of course, you're asking this on a Ruby
forum, so obviously these answers will have a certain bias that you should
consider mitigating by querying enthusiasts of alternative languages.

-Josh