While not completely certain, this bug appears to be due to using the 'caller' method inside an object finalizer. I've written a bug report on a simplerprogram (http://bugs.ruby-Lang.org/issues/6558) which I think is related. Removing 'caller()' from the finalizer in our real code seems to have stoppedthe problems (knocks on wood and crosses fingers.)