On Fri, 19 Apr 2002 06:58:54 +0900
"Michael Granger" <ged / FaerieMUD.org> wrote:

> This is to announce the release of Ruby-Poll, an object-oriented
> implementation of the poll(2) system call for Ruby.  It's still beta-quality,
> but I'd appreciate if interested parties would download it and test it,
> especially in non-ix86 Linux environments, as that's the only environment I
> have access to.

Very cool project.

I was thinking about writing a similar package, with a slightly different
focus: providing a unified, OO interface to select(), poll(), SIGIO,
/dev/poll, /dev/epoll, and FreeBSD kqueues. The advantage being that:

    (a) the package provides a single, cross-platform API that is
        independant of the I/O notification mechanism in use

    (b) you can hopefully abstract away some of the low-level code
        required for some of these notification mechanisms, simplifying
        client code

    (c) the package will automatically use the most efficient implementation
        for the user's platform, falling back to select() if nothing else
        is available

Would you be interested in incorporating this functionality into
your package? I'd be happy to contribute some code...

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway / rogers.com>