On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 10:04 AM, Bartosz Dziewoski <matma.rex / gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/6/6 Raphael B. <lists / ruby-forum.com>:
>> That could be achieved (though not on a per file basis) with the -K
>> flag, but I've read the -K flag could become deprecated, and that magic
>> comments are the future. I don't understand how comments can get such an
>> importance in source code, and I want to learn more because I'm
>> suspecting I am missing something.
>
> You can't always provide command-line options (or it might be troublesome).

It is also worth noting that in shell scripts (ruby use to be thought
of as a scripting language primarily)
that #!/shell/path like
#!/bin/bash

is very common in perl and other shell script languages.
So to see #utf-8 is to me more of a homage to declaring interpreter
path than anything else.
infact in a .cgi file
#!/usr/bin/ruby is perfectly valid

Andrew McElroy