Bartosz Dziewoski wrote in post #1063320:
> The encoding has to be set *before the file is even parsed*. So
> obviously you can't use a regular method call to do this; this
> basically forces you to create new syntax for setting the encoding.
> However, you also want to keep backwards compatibility when possible
> so you make that new syntax look like comments for older Ruby
> versions. Bam, you've got a magic encoding comment.
>
> -- Matma Rex

Thanks for your answer.
That could be achieved (though not on a per file basis) with the -K
flag, but I've read the -K flag could become deprecated, and that magic
comments are the future. I don't understand how comments can get such an
importance in source code, and I want to learn more because I'm
suspecting I am missing something.

Raph