I am making a program that will get settings from a config file. I am
thinking of the best way to implement this. One idea is that the main
file would simply set constants that are equal to values obtained from
the config file, then I could use those constants in the sections of
code where user configurable settings are relevant.

Another option would be to directly load from the config file in each of
the methods that need to user input, and set the variables as regular
local variables.

I can see advantages and disadvantages to each technique.