On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 8:59 PM, Iaki Baz Castillo <ibc / aliax.net> wrote:

> Ok, so if from C I want to call a Ruby method passing N VALUE
> parameters, should I really create a Ruby Array and pass it as _data_
> in rb_protect() ?? really? is there any other way?

I did not find another way after searching for a while, including the
source of all the extensions I could get my hands on. I was a little
surprised too.

I ended up writing my own wrappers around rb_funcall and rb_funcall2, using
rb_rescue2. Here's a gist:

  https://gist.github.com/2787174

These come from a program that embeds ruby, not an extension, so they were
written to suit those needs. For example, rescuing rb_eException might be
too broad, and registering/unregistering args with the GC might not be
necessary for all applications. I think this is most probably the reason
why ruby does not provide such functions.

In any event, I've been meaning to put these snippets out there in a
related thread in hope they might help someone. I hope they help you in
some way. I would be very interested in any feedback you might have.

Regards,
Ammar