On 24/05/12 08:07, Brian Candler wrote:
> Henry Maddocks wrote in post #1061869:
>> How about mod_ruby?
>> http://modruby.net/en/index.rbx/mod_ruby/whatis.html
> Not recommended. For one thing it's unmaintained, and you'll be lucky to
> make it work with a modern Apache. For another, all apps share the same
> ruby interpreter, and therefore are liable to stomp on each other (e.g.
> changes made to core classes in one will affect all others)
>
> I think it's fair to say everybody uses Rack as the middleware layer
> now. On top of Rack you can sit frameworks like Rails, Sinatra, Camping,
> Ramaze etc. Underneath Rack you can run Mongrel, Thin, Unicorn,
> Rainbows!, Zbatery etc and proxy HTTP to them; or you can run Apache and
> Phusion Passenger.
>
> I believe there's a Rack handler for fastcgi too, but I doubt it's used
> much given the other deployment options listed above.

thanks brian, heaps of stuff for me to try :)
cgi can work well  but i get your points Brian - cheers

Proxy's are without doubt the most mis-understood element of our network
today.

But i need multi-threaded parrallel exec and async non-blocking io so
proxy need to
layer above above rather than part of platform (hope i made some sense).

I looking into compilation today, Rubyspec have some really cool stuff !
Getting that code into apache module is the tricky bit but.

Thought i might have a look a that patterns in phusion as well see if
some refactoring
can be done.

Brian i was wondering what platform you is your "favourite" at least for
web distributed code.

Thanks very much.