On 22/05/12 20:48, Matthew R Chase wrote:
> Shaun Lloyd wrote in post #1061600:
>> You seem to be in the minority.
> undoubtedly.  I love/hate that lots of people love rails.
>
>> Do you have to worry about url's in that do you rewrite to clean up
>> cgi-bin etc. ?
> I don't think I've ever worried about URLs.  Maybe I don't understand
> the question.  and I don't use cgi-bin; I've always preferred to put
> scripts in the same directory as the rest of the web application.

It's actually the fastest method of all, at least with the parameters
i'm benchmarking.
>> Are you on apache, do you use phusion / fastcgi etc. ?
> apache.  I don't use a module for scripts.
> AddHandler cgi-script .cgi

Yeah i figured that one out just on your inference (Thanks heaps). I
actually went a bit to far
when i learned how easy apache makes the setup of handlers, but thats
another thread.
>> Have you done a profiling of ruby in relation to speed ?
> not officially and usually not in relation to speed; I periodically
> check CPU usage.  I keep a loose eye on speed as I watch load times.
> I've never had lag I couldn't repair by reducing trips to the server or
> fixing some storage index.
>
> I have done some spot-checking of efficiency since I first used ruby.  I
> came to ruby from perl because I got tired of OOP as an afterthought.
> At the time I surveyed ruby and PHP as alternatives.  The same algorithm
> for communication with a device through a serial port ran 30% CPU in PHP
> and 0% in ruby.
One thing i will say for php is that it's fast for dumping text.Don't
think their would be a second thing.
Oh yeah it runs wikipedia (thanks for that :)
>    I suspect this is more a credit to the quality of the
> ruby community than the language itself.  I also check efficiency
> periodically to see how scripts contend with volume usage or when I
> think I'll have an expensive script.  I can't recall ever being
> disappointed by the results.

Ruby has alot more noise to be heard, that is for sure. The community is
really
helpful as well. I've posted a few places with initial learning issues.
I'm well on my
way now. Thanks heaps.