Shaun Lloyd wrote in post #1061602:
> On 22/05/12 03:37, Brian Candler wrote:
>>> understand the security implications of having your own process!
>> The cost of starting a Rails app is huge - several seconds of startup
>> time. You really really don't want to do this from scratch on every
>> request.
>>
> It's a real huge. I did tests locally, cross country and cross
> continent.
> I love ruby and rails but honest ruby on rails has very serious
> performance issues.

That just means you're using it wrong. Rails was *never* intended to be
run as a CGI, it's just a ridiculuous thing to do. Run Rails as a
persistent webserver and proxy to it; or run it under Apache using
Phusion Passenger, which will also run any other Rack-based application.

You might get away with running a smaller framework like Sinatra as a
CGI, but it will still have a poor response time. Remember that if you
are using a database, it will need to make a fresh connection to the
database for every request too.

Anyway, this is the wrong mailing list for discussing Rails. Rails is
not Ruby, and this is the Ruby mailing list.

Regards,

Brian.