Frequently hash values are a mixture of object types.  In the case at
issue, the various values of a particular hash may be either strings or
an array of strings.  As I iterate through the hash to process the
respective values, I need to process a string value differently from the
way that I process a value that is an array.  My question is:  How do I
determine the object type of the respective values so that I can channel
it to the proper processing mechanism?

I apologize.  I'm sure that I should be able to find the answer to this
question; but, I don't know what search criteria to use.

Thanks for any input.

     ...doug