Shaun Lloyd wrote in post #1061600:
> You seem to be in the minority.
undoubtedly.  I love/hate that lots of people love rails.

> Do you have to worry about url's in that do you rewrite to clean up
> cgi-bin etc. ?
I don't think I've ever worried about URLs.  Maybe I don't understand
the question.  and I don't use cgi-bin; I've always preferred to put
scripts in the same directory as the rest of the web application.

> Are you on apache, do you use phusion / fastcgi etc. ?
apache.  I don't use a module for scripts.
AddHandler cgi-script .cgi

> Have you done a profiling of ruby in relation to speed ?
not officially and usually not in relation to speed; I periodically
check CPU usage.  I keep a loose eye on speed as I watch load times.
I've never had lag I couldn't repair by reducing trips to the server or
fixing some storage index.

I have done some spot-checking of efficiency since I first used ruby.  I
came to ruby from perl because I got tired of OOP as an afterthought.
At the time I surveyed ruby and PHP as alternatives.  The same algorithm
for communication with a device through a serial port ran 30% CPU in PHP
and 0% in ruby.  I suspect this is more a credit to the quality of the
ruby community than the language itself.  I also check efficiency
periodically to see how scripts contend with volume usage or when I
think I'll have an expensive script.  I can't recall ever being
disappointed by the results.