Shaun Lloyd wrote in post #1061455:
> I am trying to find information on why the cgi interface is obsolete and
> why everyone is using rails/rack etc. I actually really like rails but
> can't seem to find the details on why they don't simple run as cgi
> script. I have a shared cpanel managed domain and setting up rails apps
> is a piece of cake and in some ways the archecture of rails somehow
> makes ruby feel more like a application rather that connecting the dots
> with shtml.
>
> I understand the "cost" of forking process's server side, i also
> understand the security implications of having your own process!

The cost of starting a Rails app is huge - several seconds of startup
time. You really really don't want to do this from scratch on every
request.

> Does rails exec and sleep in memory but never die. Does each connected
> user "share" that process ?

Depends how you run it. The normal way is to have a pool of processes
each of which is waiting for a HTTP request. It accepts and processes
one HTTP request, sends the response, then goes back to waiting for
another request.