On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 11:12 AM, Martin DeMello
<martindemello / gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 1:46 AM, Robert Klemme
> <shortcutter / googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> There's also a "lightweight" variant:
>>
>> 1. any text editor with syntax highlighting and code indention for
>> Ruby (gvim?) - maybe there's also a standalone code formatter.
>>
>> 2. IRB, pry
>>
>> 3. Terminal
>>
>> 4. ri
>
> Have you used drracket?

No.

> It's *really* pleasant to have everything
> integrated and working together, particularly when you're learning. I
> think it would be a nice experience to bring to the ruby world.

On one hand I agree.  On the other hand I'm grumpy today and think
editor and command line aren't too bad even though it's a bit more
effort.  Maybe I'm also old fashioned and believe that things are
better remembered if you need to work harder for them. :-)

>> I do not know how good this works on Windows since I only use self
>> compiled Ruby on cygwin.
>
> The windows CMD terminal is pretty painful to use (I'm not sure if
> anything better ships with more modern versions of windows).

That's why I use cygwin. :-)

>> Right, it might reduce the learning curve. =A0But wouldn't it then also
>> need features to easily built graphical user interfaces?
>
> I thought about that, but I'd say building GUIs is, at least in the
> ruby world, a fairly advanced thing to do. Also, for some reason,
> there just doesn't seem to be a large community of people developing
> gui desktop apps in ruby. On the other hand, there are *lots* of other
> areas where ruby is a very heavily-used and useful tool, both in the
> console-based data processing and automation, and in webapps. It would
> probably be a greater bang for the buck to include a sinatra + webrick
> quickstart plugin.

Good point!

>>> * Should it be written in ruby?
>>
>> It could as well be written in HTML - meaning: proper documentation.
>> The benefit would be that people get along on more different systems
>> (i.e. without the overhead of installing an IDE and even without a
>> graphical UI at all). =A0It might be a bit more rough than a single
>> installer which throws everything (Ruby, IDE...) on the system. =A0But
>> then again, if it's software, maintenance efforts are higher.
>
> Yeah, that's true, but it could also be more useful if done right.

Absolutely.

Kind regards

robert

PS: Sorry for the grumpiness.