Regis d'Aubarede wrote in post #1061272:
> Hello,
> tested on windows:
>
> open("data.txt", "rb:UTF-16LE") {|fin|
>   open("odata.txt", "wb:UTF-8") { |fout|
>     fout.write(fin.read())
>   }
> }
>
> Regards,

thx, it works for me too, however, I wanted to include it in the script
refered to above, so I tried this modification according to your modell:
--------------------------------------
file = ARGV[0]

File.open(file, "Unicode") {|fin|
  File.open(file, "wb:UTF-8") { |fout|
    fout.write(fin.read())
  }
}
--------------------------------------

and I get an error.

If possible, I want to run this file conversion prior to my other code,
but the file should be named the same and the content untouched. I know
that my version above would overwrite it.

Something like this:
1. Convert the file.
2. Reopen the file.
3. Read the content.
4. Run some code on the content.
5. Write something back to the file.

No. 1 is giving me the headache, the rest is in place:)

regards,
seba