Hello,

At 08:53 02/05/2002 +0900, you wrote:
>On Windows
>and all the variants of Unix that I'm aware of, the OS provides each
>process with a multi-gigabyte, (an don some systems, terabyte) virtual
>address space, supported by a swap file or swap partition.  If malloc()
>runs out or room on the heap it just calls brk() or sbrk() (I forget
>which) to get some more.  Under such circumstances, I find it difficult to
>imagine a real-world scenario which would result in an "out of memory"
>error condition.  Am I missing something here?
>Dennis

On a 32 bits architecture a pointer can go up to 4 000 Mo. On some
architecture half of that is reserved for the stack segment. That leaves 2
Go. This is something like 4 times the 512 Ko of Ram that a lot of power PC
have these days. So, yes, one can get out of memory. Unfortunately.

Yours,

Jean-Hugues

Web:  http://hdl.handle.net/1030.37/1.1
Phone: +33 (0) 4 92 27 74 17