Bartosz,

Saturday, April 14, 2012, 2:31:51 AM, you wrote:

BD> W dniu 14 kwietnia 2012 02:32 u┼╝ytkownik Ralph Shnelvar
BD> <ralphs / dos32.com> napisa:
>> Bartosz,
>>
>> Friday, April 13, 2012, 3:55:46 PM, you wrote:
>>
>> BD> Now what should string[1..-2] do in your version? And would the end
>> BD> result with at least 3 different behaviors for ranges make any sense?
>>
>> I'm not sure what string[1..2] is supposed to do.  What do you mean it to do?

BD> string[1..-2], with a minus. It currently returns first to
BD> second-to-last letters of the string. As in:

irb(main):001:0>> string = 'abcdefg'
=>> "abcdefg"
irb(main):002:0>> string[1..-2]
=>> "bcdef"

That's cool.  I recently saw this usage of a range as a subscript at a DeRailed meeting.

To answer your question about "Now what should string[1..-2] do in your version?", it would do the exact same thing.  No changes to the semantics of ranges used as subscripts.

The original poster wanted a change to the behavior of "each"

  range = 40..10
  range.each{|n| puts n} # it doesn't

I think the OP's request is a reasonable one.