I have a program that is running constantly and I'd like to be able to
change the value of a variable inside it from the outside by doing
something on the command line.

Ideally, this would happen via an interrupt process so that the program
doesn't have to continuously poll some resource.

Right now, the program just polls mysql every few seconds to see if
someone has changed a setting which is stored in a table.  Ideally, I'd
like the program to read from the table on startup but then not have to
poll mysql anymore to see if the setting has been changed.

Hopefully I'm making sense here...