I am new to Ruby as well.  Here are some resources I have found useful:

Mike Hartl has an excellent tutotial here:
http://ruby.railstutorial.org/ruby-on-rails-tutorial-book?version=3.2

The Ruby Rouges Pod cast.  I have listened to every single one of them.
 Not all are for beginners, but I get something out of each one of them.

railscast:   http://railscasts.com/

And of course:  http://guides.rubyonrails.org/

That is where I have started.

Rod.