MIke,
Thanks.  I have little experience with the command line other than an
awareness that it has always been there (e.g. DOS, etc.).  I never
devoted the time to learn it.  That said, I work in the IT field but I
am not a programmer (but would like to learn).  Clearly though, I
bypassed a critical step in the learning process (e.g. UNIX).

So, I am beginning with Unix (Bash tutorials) to get comfortable with
it.  Then, I thought ruby and last rails.  Would that be your
recommendation?

My only concern right now, is that if I read the documentation on Rails
correctly, it really wants Ruby 1.9.x installed to work with the latest
version of Rails.  So, my inability to get that accomplished is kind of
a major roadblock at this point.
Bob