yes I didn't read your post before I made my second post (which I tried
to delete).

it gets stuck with this error I try to recompile everything with fPIC
flag but it still happens

/usr/bin/ld: /usr/local/ssl/lib/libcrypto.a(e_gost_err.o): relocation
R_X86_64_32 against `.data' can not be used when making a shared object;
recompile with -fPIC
/usr/local/ssl/lib/libcrypto.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I think I am probably just going to stick with OFB, and avoid the
headaches of trying to update OpenSSL and get it to work with Ruby.
Maybe some day my distro will have 1.0.1 in the repository :<