Also from OpenSSL if I have it list the algorithms it supports it does
not list aes-128-ctr, however if I type aes-128-ctr in it treats it like
it exists (unlike if I type in aes-128-abc)

sorry that this thread has potentially gone off the topic of Ruby, the
problem could very well be with OpenSSL but the thing is I can at this
point not even surely identify where the problem is...something going
screwy with OpenSSL? Ruby not seeing the new version of OpenSSL (it
still shows 1.0.0e for some commands as I show previously)? Ruby not
understanding that ctr mode is supported now since OpenSSL doesn't list
it (even though it does work with it if it is typed in from console?)

it seems as likely to be a problem with Ruby to me as a problem with
OpenSSL at this point, although in either case it is probably a user
error on my part. Have you actually gotten ruby to work with ctr mode?