thanks for the help. I am having a hellish time getting ruby to
recognize the updated openSSL. First I compile new one from source,
since it is not in the repository of my OS. After I compile the new
version OpenSSL still thinks it is (and therefor is...) the old version
that came with my OS. So I need to completely remove OpenSSL and then
install from source. Great now OpenSSL is the newest version! But
crap.....

OpenSSL::Cipher::Cipher.new("AES-128-CTR")

it says not a supported cipher (and I tried 256 and lower case also just
in case I made simple mistake here, but OFB and such still work so it is
actually not recognizing the mode)

when I do

puts OpenSSL::VERSION

it says I run 1.0.1 which is good, seems things should work ?!

but when I run

OpenSSL::OPENSSL_VERSION

it says OpenSSL 1.0.0e

so I think the problem may be this since it says 1.0.0e instead of 1.0.1
(of course I have no idea the difference between running VERSION and
OPENSSL_VERSION , the documentation does not answer this well enough for
me to exactly understand the distinction)

I have reinstalled ruby from source a dozen times now trying different
things. I try to point it at the directory I install 1.0.1 to with
--with-openssl-dir=/path/to/openssl as I see many suggest and it has no
idea what I am talking about (invalid option in new version of Ruby it
seems).

I try for hours now to get ruby to work with the new version of openssl
so I can use CTR mode but nothing I do works and I really can't think of
what else I could possibly try at this point, and no amount of google is
helping I have exhausted the pages.

Again thanks for your help sorry if I sound a bit irritated in this post
but omfg why so hard to do such a simple thing 0_0