On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 21:39:14 +0900, Lars Mai wrote:
[...]
> Oops. Just in case you haven't figured it out yourself by now: you need
> to initialize the log4r logger with the full namespace, like this:
>
>   Net::NNTP.logger = Log4r::Logger.new 'mylog'
[...]

LOL, thanks Lars.  I kid you not, I just now kludged together something
with JDBC:

https://gist.github.com/2252313

checked my gmane lists, and saw your post!  I can now have parallel
projects, heh.  Anyhow, yeah, I sorta see.

The warning from the gem:

/home/thufir/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.3-p125/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/
rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require': iconv will be deprecated in
the future, use String#encode instead.

isn't a big deal, right?

More significantly, I'm not really clear on the difference between:

#Net::NNTP.logger = Logger.new
Net::NNTP.logger = Log4r::Logger.new 'mylog'

I mean, are they both on the same Logger class?  I would think so, that
you wouldn't want two Logger classes, that sounds like a bad idea.  So,
why do you need to fully specify the class?  Shouldn't ruby know,
somehow, which Logger I mean?

thanks again,

Thufir