Volkmann, Mark wrote:

>> Subject: Why are there four IDE development efforts, and can they be
>> combined?
>>
>> So far I've seen freeRIDE, Practical Ruby, I think one called
>> RubyIDE and
>> another whose name I can't remember.
>>
>> The fact that there's this much interest is a GOOD thing, but I'm just
>> wondering how these efforts could piggy-back off each others
>> work or even
>> ideally combine <although I know this is hard due to conceptual design
>> differences between the projects' founders>
>
> I recommend that anyone working on a Ruby IDE take a look at IDEA, a Java
IDE.
> It has many cool features that could be borrowed for a Ruby IDE.

I couldn't agree more. I think IntelliJ IDEA is hands-down the best Java IDE
available for everyday development (if it had a GUI layout facility I could
stop paying for JBuilder upgrades!). Keep your eye on FreeRIDE (or better
yet, help us out) because the borrowing IDEA's design for code-assist and
refactoring features is good way to get started, and is precisely my initial
plan.

We also intend to go beyond what IDEA offers in many areas. We want to add
direct support for many of the practices popularized by XP (extreme
programming) and other agile development methods -- like integrated unit
testing support, remote pair programming support, etc.

Curt