On 13.03.2012 13:58, Thufir Hawat wrote:
> which or where tcl and tk does arcadia require?  Is this a gem which I
> install, or a package from synaptic?  In either case, which one
> specifically?  There are so many variants.
[...]
> thufir@caladan:~$ rvm -v
[...]
>         Arcadia require ruby-tk extension

You already got a lot of useful responses, but here's my guess: when you
use RVM you basically build Ruy yourself. You did install the TCL/TK
packages *after* your installed Ruby, my guess is you need them to have
properly installed *before* you build Ruby; i.e. Ruby requires them to
be present during the build process.

Short: now that you have the TCL/TK packages (and their -dev variants
probbably) installed, reinstall Ruby via rvm so it picks them up.

I've never used TCL/TK but I have similar problems when using rvm on a
new machine and I forget to install e.g. libreadline-dev ; I end up with
a non-working IRB, which requires that the libreadline-dev package is
available at the time I install/build Ruby via rvm (at least this was
the case in the past).

HTH,
- Markus