On Fri, 26 Apr 2002 21:22:26 -0000, "M. Norton"
<mnorton / otaku.freeshell.org> wrote:

>I recently read an article on Ruby in Linux Magazine and have since done
>some poking around Ruby documentation.  Would it be possible to use Ruby
>to create a PalmOS program?  All of the PalmOS libraries are in C, but
>they're a pain to use and it seemed to me like the object oriented
>nature of Ruby might be an ideal wrapper for doing quick and dirty
>PalmOS programs.  On the other hand, as far as I know, Ruby is an
>interpreted language, so the Palm device would have to have a Ruby
>interpreter onboard to be called to run the aforementioned program.
>
>Is there a way to have Ruby compiled into a stand alone PalmOS program,
>or would I have to port the interpreter to PalmOS?

According to the PalmOS documentation PalmOS has only very limited
heap space. The space is so limited that parsers generated with lex
and yacc are almost unusable. A port of ruby to PalmOS < 5 would be
probably a bit harder than to other platforms. (Unless you like such
challenges)

Cheers
Martin