Hi folks,

I am proud to announce the 0.1.0 release of ruby-xz, a binding to the
liblzma compression library[1] whose native XZ compression format is
known to achieve very high compression ratios. With ruby-xz, you can
use its compression power in an easy-to-use rubyish way.

ruby-xz is written ontop of ffi[2] so there°«s no need to compile anything.

== Examples

require "xz"

# Compress a string
str = XZ.compress("I love Ruby")
# Decompress it
puts XZ.decompress(str)) #=> I love Ruby

# Use it together with archive-tar-minitar in order to read
# XZ-compressed tarballs (.tar.xz files):
require "archive/tar/minitar"
XZ::StreamReader.open("foo.tar.xz") do |txz|
  Archive::Tar::Minitar.unpack(txz, "foo")
end

For more possible usecases, refer to the RDoc documentation.

== What°«s new?

* Thanks to Christoph Plank°«s contribution, we°«re currently
  1.8-compatible. But don°«t count on this for the future.
* The new classes XZ::StreamReader and XZ::StreamWriter allow to
  access XZ-compressed data through an IO-like interface, letting
  you easily (de)compress .tar.xz files with your favourite TAR
  reader library.
* New dependency on the "io-like" gem.
* Several minor bugs such as encoding mismatches have been corrected.
  See the git commit log for the complete list.
* No breaking changes, so programs written for the previous version
  should still work. If not, file a bug.

== Web pages

Sourcecode:  https://github.com/Quintus/ruby-xz
Bug tracker: https://github.com/Quintus/ruby-xz/issues

== How to install

Just as always, ruby-xz is available via RubyGems.

# gem install ruby-xz

== License

ruby-xz is licensed under the MIT license, see the README for the
complete text. Please also note that this gem contains Steve Klabnik°«s
require_relative gem°«s sourcecode for a 1.8-compatible
require_relative method. That gem is licensed under the BSDL (see the
sourcecode in xz.rb for further information)[3].

Enjoy! ;-)

Valete,
Marvin

[1] http://tukaani.org/xz
[2] https://github.com/ffi/ffi
[3] Reasoning for including the sourcecode: I didn°«t want two separate
gems for 1.8 and 1.9, but it°«s not possible to specify dependencies
just for a specific Ruby version.