I would like to use Ruby as an embeded tool for a large scale mission
critical application.  I need to be able to run embeded ruby on both
Windows and ix86 Linux.

I am currently getting some strange behavior on both Win and Linux.

--Linux: compile time issues
I had to link against dl and crypt to get Ruby to build on Linux 2.4,
is this normal?  Did I overlook a make file somewhere.  All the
examples I've found didn't require this, I'm assuming that I'm doing
something wrong.

Also, I got the code to compile *once*, but normally get an:
undefined reference to dlopen (line no. 1276 file dln.c)
undefined reference to dlsym (line no. 1280 file dln.c)
undefined reference to dlclose (line no. 1281 file dln.c)
in function dln_strerror.
I've tried linking against dl but it doesn't solve my problem.  Does
someone have a make file I can use for Linux 2.4?  I got it to compile
once, but can't duplicate it, I don't know what I did to get it to
compile.

One other thing, on Linux I unpacked Ruby onto a second hardrive,
compiled and ran make install which places ruby in the proper
directory off the main drive; could this be an issue, does it matter
where you *unpack* Ruby, does the installer take care of everything?

--Win: (runtime issues)
On XP-Pro with Visual Studio.NET I was able to compile easily, but
when I call embeded Ruby from within my C++ application ruby runs
whatever scripts I pass it but then my application exits.  I don't
understand why my app haults after I call ruby.  Shouldn't Ruby simply
return to the caller, it appears to be calling exit somewhere.  Again,
I'm new to embeded Ruby, I assume I'm doing something wrong.

...ed