Hal E. Fulton wrote:

> Julian,
>
> This sounds fascinating to me... I don't know SmallTalk and have
> never seen the Squeak environment.

I would recommend a look... though really a quick look may tell you very
little.  My first response to the Squeak environment was somewhat mixed
because it is 100% non-standard widgets.  Rather than try to make a
cross-platform GUI that looked right on all platforms, they just made it
look wrong but identical on all platforms.  But once you get used to it,
it's really quite nice (though it certainly has plenty of flaws).

> Have you considered joining the FreeRIDE team? Or at least
> contributing ideas to it?

No, I hadn't really...  the thought of actually working on an IDE from
the ground up felt kind of overwhelming but I admit that's a bad
attitude on my part :)  I will try to have a look at it this week though
I will be away on vacation for nearly two months as of next week so
actual constributions may have to wait until after that.

> There is a rudimentary infrastructure design in place, but coding
> is proceeding very slowly over the past several weeks. You
> could still get in "on the ground floor" if you were interested.
>
> I'm especially interested in making sure that the interface
> (particularly with respect to editing, scripting, and refactoring)
> is elegant and powerful. But we are not at the stage of defining
> that interface yet.

Refactoring, in particular I think is very important.  But those are all
admirable goals.

Julian

--
julian / beta4.com