Robert Klemme wrote in post #1044013:
> On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 11:02 PM, Patrick Bayford <pbayford / talktalk.net>
> wrote:
>> Some assistance please - I have a Ruby project, which I started in Ruby
>> 1.8.6/7, some time ago. It involves several custom data classes, which
>> can have up to 500 multi-field items in "lists". The size of the data
>> means that file storage is crucial, however, with the massive changes
>> made to yaml.rb in Ruby 1.9.n, I find that, although I can load existing
>> data from file, I can't find a way to save it back to file. Anyone got
>> any suggestions where to start?
>
> Did you consider using Marshal?
>
>> I'd prefer using a proper database but can't get any of those to behave
>> properly either!!!
>
> What does that mean?
>
> Kind regards
>
> robert

I did try using Marshal, however, while the examples show how to use
dump & load for in memory use, there was not enough information for me
to get it to write to a file! I don't have enough Ruby experience yet to
work out how to do this sort of stuff - I'm a Pascal/Delphi man by
choice, and serializing objects is nearly all down to the coder.
As to the database comment, I have so far been unable to get mySQL
working with Ruby 1.9, and don't (yet) know enough SQLite to make it's
use practical. I have SQL Server too, but that has even poorer support
documentation, as far as Ruby is concerned. Most of my attempts have
failed at the connect stage.