----- Original Message -----
From: "Julian Fitzell" <julian / beta4.com>
To: "ruby-talk ML" <ruby-talk / ruby-lang.org>
Sent: Monday, April 29, 2002 12:57 PM
Subject: Re: RubyConf.new(2002) - ideas for agenda

> I was initially reluctant to leave Ruby and wanted to make sure we
> ported everything back to the Ruby version but after using it for a
> period of time, it is less of a priority.  I still think it's a good
> idea and I would probably help someone get going on it and maybe even
> get to it some day if I find enough time just sitting around with
> nothing to do.  But the development environment of Squeak is so much
> more pleasant - I can change a method just by clicking on it and the web
> app is instantly using the new version... no need to find the right
> file, find the method, change it, save the file, reload the app...  And
> I can press a button on a remote web server admin page and it will load
> in the new version.

[snippage before and after]

Julian,

This sounds fascinating to me... I don't know SmallTalk and have
never seen the Squeak environment.

Have you considered joining the FreeRIDE team? Or at least
contributing ideas to it?

There is a rudimentary infrastructure design in place, but coding
is proceeding very slowly over the past several weeks. You
could still get in "on the ground floor" if you were interested.

I'm especially interested in making sure that the interface
(particularly with respect to editing, scripting, and refactoring)
is elegant and powerful. But we are not at the stage of defining
that interface yet.

Refer to Laurent Julliard's post of 4/29 if you're curious.

Cheers,
Hal Fulton