On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 6:35 PM, Robert Klemme
<shortcutter / googlemail.com> wrote:
> I think so. =A0But that still does not make it a brilliant idiom in my
> eyes. =A0Granted, the example Gavin presented looks pretty reasonable.

given a conditional expression like,

if ( foo bar)

or

while ( foo bar )

shouldn' t we be concerned only of the value of the parenthetical
expression? i think that is true for all languages, no?

i dunno. matz allows   x,y =3D foo to return nil,  but not  if (x,y =3D
foo).  i hope i can read matz brain :)

> However, I haven't missed this feature in all those years so I am a
> tad uncertain how common or uncommon that is.

w these both 1.9.3+ features, we can dry up some while routines, eg,

while (x,y,z=3Dfoo)
   doit
end

cause otherwise, i'll have to do it like this

x,y,z=3Dfoo
while (x)
  doit
  x,y,z=3Dfoo